Following on from my recent post on second hand shopping, I wanted to write about all the great stuff my family and I have found in charity shops over the years. Of course a lot of these things aren’t completely necessary and not exactly minimalist but this just serves as an example of some of the gems you can find in charity shops. I haven’t included photos of everything but this is just a taster of what can turn up if you are patient & browse second hand shops every once & a while 🙂
- Hanging rack for a wardrobe
- Drum kit-just gathering dust in the house of a family friend! 100% Free!
- Alarm clock
- Box sets – last Christmas I got my little brother DVDs and boxsets that were all thrifted! He can then trade them in at CEX for store credit and continue their life cycle!
- TV & DVD player-I’ve subsequently re-donated the TV as I don’t watch it & I wanted to make my bedroom more minimalist.
- Couch & 2 armchairs & footrest
- Flowery chair
- Royal Tara and Aynsley china vases & ornaments
- Picture frames
- Rocking chair
- Utensil container
- Glass chopping boards
- Spice rack & containers
- Cup rack and cups
- Tea, sugar and coffee pots
- Vintage style marmalade jar for storing tea
- Plant pot holders
- A nifty compost bin that actually says compost on it! 🙂
My fave finds
- Christmas tree & Christmas decorations-found in 2 separate shops for less than €10
- Pasta maker for just €4-I can make Zero Waste vegan pasta now-whoop!
- A cover for my Kindle-I’m actually going to sell the Kindle because I never use it, but those tablet covers are so expensive new!
- Flowery curtains
- Winnie the Pooh rug & badass cushions. I used to have quite a cushion collecting habit pre-ZW but now I realise I am happy with the amount of cushions I have 😛
- 2 wheeled shopping trolley for groceries-free from Freecycle – a great website for second hand goods.
- Keep Cup-a Zero Waste kit staple- Only €1!
- A wooden soap dish for €1 to replace the ceramic one I broke 😦
- Hot water bottle – I said I didn’t want anything for my birthday but this was something I actually needed-the best kind of presents 🙂 My mam snapped it up for just €2!
- Last but not least-Scotty our Jack Chi! He was a stray who actually found us but he was 100% free!
Be patient and you’ll find some second hand treasures! What’s your favourite second hand find?